Friday, January 22, 2010

WEEK 2 ASSIGNMENTS

A VISION OF STUDENTS TODAY

Mr. Wesch's video shows facts about the typical college students of today. Even though I consider myself the typical college student, most of my facts do not match the ones in this video. Unlike those in the video: I work an average of 6 hours each day; spend only 1 hour on the computer a day; get close to 6 hours of sleep each night; and before I came to the University of South Alabama ALL of my teachers knew me by name. This video does say alot about how much students struggle in today's college setting. I liked the general layout of the video, even though I would have liked to see images of these people other countries; or even of the students with their topic instead f it just written on a piece of paper.

Showing how much books, tuition, and computers cost compared to how much someone may make in a day and to how much a family may make in a year, really puts things in perspective for me. The average laptop cost more than that family makes in one year's wages. That is a very disturbing figure for me. I cannot believe that it is possible to live off that much less of money in a years time. I know that I would run through that money in at least a month, maybe two alone. That really concerns me on how we live in our country these days.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY

I, for the most part, agree with Mrs. Hines. In the past 2 semesters of preparing to be a teacher most of what I have heard is about new software, better technology aids, and and all the programs I needed to be profficent in to become a good teacher, and frankly I felt overwhelmed. I always thought teaching with enthusiasm for my subject would be one of the best 'tools' I could bring to the table. I am NOT ,however, saying that technology is not an impotant part of teaching these days. I know that there are many programs out there to aid myself and my students in learning the subject best; just that sometimes it can get in the way if you do not utilize it correctly.

The part I find myself disagreeing with Mrs. Hines is her number 4 point. I am not blind to the world I live in, the world of technology. We as a society have come to a point where technology is everywhere, and we need to start utilizing it. I believe that we need to use technology as much as we can in the classroom so that we can get our lessons acroos better to our students. The trick to that is just to use the technology as a GUIDE for the information, NOT as the teacher! We as teachers have a duty to prepare our studentsfor the future, and if technology will help us do this the best I say we use it.

IS IT OKAY TO BE A TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE TEACHER

I agree with Mr. Fisch in that we should not flaunt that we are technologically illiterate, but be embarassed of it. However, I disagree with him that being tech-illiterate today is like not being able to read and write 30 years ago. I kjnow that technology is a huge part of the world today, but I believe that people in general can get by with the basics on a computer and that be enough. In the future I do expect everyone to be able to use a computer at their disposal for whatever they want, and be able to do it with profficency. I just believe that we are not at the point in our society where it is as devistating as not being able to read or write.

Reading and writing are probably the most important skills everyone needs to have, being technologically literate is moving up on the list but has yet to make it to the top for me. I think we will see it happen when students are made to take computer classes from an early age, not just in junior high and above. I also agree with Mr. Fisch in that a teacher should not be unwilling to learn more about technology. This goes back to teachers being continuous learners throughout their careers. We must strive to be the best that we can be for our students, and give them the tools that they will need for the future.

GARY'S SOCAIL MEDIA COUNTS

This is probably one of the coolest counter I have encoutnered on the web in a while. It basically shows us how much internet based we are as a society these days. In just under 2 minutes my counter showed that there had been over 3.5 million new searches on Google alone. Which makes me think back to our first assignment that asked who were these questions posted to before Google??

The reason I believe that this counter has some significance to me as a teacheer is that it show me how much is actually being done on the interent; and it was probably being done by someone I, or someone like me, will teach someday. We need to learn these new technologies so that we can better communicate with our students. We as teachers need to stay up to date on everything that our students may use to help them learn, so that we may also learn from it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with most of the things that you had to say in your post. I really like how you emphasized that technology can be an aid to teaching, but it can't teach for you. A good teacher can use technology to advance her teaching methods, but a bad teacher can't disguise bad teaching with technology. Nice job on the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you that having a certain degree of knowledge about technology hasn't gotten to the point yet where it is as comparable to knowing how to read and write, yes a basic understanding of technology is required in this world and having a profound knowledge of it will get you far but i agree with you that it hasn't made "the top of the list." But most likely sooner than we think it will for future generations.

    ReplyDelete